Rules for Advancement to the State Competition
The Northern California State Competition will be held on March 23, 2019 at the William R. Hewlett Teaching Center, Stanford University.
Highest Scoring School Teams advance as follows:
• 1 – 10 schools registered in chapter – allowed 1 Team
• 11 - 20 schools registered in chapter – allowed 2 Teams
• 21 - 30 schools registered in chapter – allowed 4 Teams
• 31 - 40 schools registered in chapter – allowed 5 Teams
• 41 or more schools registered in chapter – allowed 6 Teams
If the winner of the Chapter Competition is a magnet school and/or has won the Chapter Competition for the second consecutive year one additional team will be allowed to advance to the State Competition. No more than one additional team per chapter is allowed to advance in this manner.
Advancing Teams will be the top scoring Teams based on overall Team scores at the Chapter Competition.
Independents are selected as follows:
• 1 -10 Schools registered in chapter – 2 Independents advance
• 11-20 Schools registered in chapter – 3 Independents advance
• 21-30 Schools registered in chapter – 5 Independents advance
• 31-40 Schools registered in chapter – 6 Independents advance
• 41 or more Schools registered in chapter – 7 Independents advance
Independents will be the top scoring competitors at the Chapter Competition (based on Sprint and Target Round scores), who are not on an advancing School Team. Independents may have been registered as a school Team Member or an Individual. Regardless of registration status at the chapter level, Independents will compete only in the Sprint and Target Rounds at the State Competition, and the Countdown Round if
State Competition Cap
The state reserves the right to place a cap on the total number of students at the State Competition at 375 participants statewide. Because the approximate number of competitors is not available until final registration has been completed, the State Coordinator will make any necessary adjustments to the above described advancement numbers and notify all chapter coordinators at that time. It will be the responsibility of the Chapter Coordinator to notify their participating coaches of any changes.